Derecho Recovery in Burke: Sunday Evening Update
What's open, what's not.
As of 6 p.m. Sunday, Burke Patch confirmed these shopping centers are open:
- Burke Centre Shopping Center at Rt. 123 and Burke Centre Parkway
- Burke Towne Center Shopping Center at Burke Centre Parkway and Roberts Parkway
- Old Keene Mill Shopping Center at Old Keene Mill and Rolling Roads
- Springfield Plaza at Old Keene Mill and Rolling Roads
- University Mall at Rt. 123 and Braddock Roads
- Twinbrook Plaza at Braddock Road and Twinbrook Road
- Kings Park Shopping Center at Braddock Road and Rolling Road / Lake Braddock Road
- Burke Target at 10301 New Guinea Road
The stores in these shopping centers are still without power.
- Burke Village Center I and II at Burke Lake Road and Burke Road - The Giant grocery store is open on minimal power and with very limited stock available.
- Rolling Valley Mall at Old Keene Mill Road and Shiplett - Shoppers Food Warehouse was open for a while on Sunday, running on a generator. Stock is very limited.
These intersections are still without power:
- Roberts Road at Braddock Road
- Commonwealth Blvd. and Roberts Road
- Burke Road and Burke Lake Road - at both ends of the bridge
- Old Keene Mill Road and Shiplett
- Old Keene Mill Road and Hillside Road
- Old Keene Mill Road and Greeley
Crews from North Carolina and West Virginia Power Companies are working along Old Keene Mill Road to repair the damaged lines where a tree fell Friday, killing a 27-year-old motorist.
Staff in Springfield District Supervisor Pat Herrity's office say the community room in the West Springfield District Governmental Center is open 24/7 as an unofficial cooling center. Water and air conditioning are available there.
For more information, refer to our earlier stories:
If you have additional information, please share it in the comments section.