Lake Braddock's Sophie Chase has been named 2011-12 Gatorade Virginia Girls Cross Country Runner of the Year.
An ESPNHS team managed the selection process, which was based on "athletic production and impact in the 2011 season, high academic achievement and exemplary personal character," according to ESPNHS.
Chase began her running career late, by most standards. “Although she did not start her running career until ninth grade, Sophie has excelled due to her outstanding work ethic and attention to detail,” Lake Braddock head coach Mike Mangan told ESPNHS.
The Lake Braddock junior won the Group AAA individual state championship in November. She broke the course record, too, running the three miles in 17:33, a 5:39 pace.
Her other recent accomplishments include:
- Washington Post Runner of the Year;
- Second at the Foot Locker South Regional championships in 17:06;
- Eleventh at the national Foot Locker Cross Country Championships in 17:44.2;
- Winner of the MileStat.com Invitational in a course-record time of 17:22;
- Unbeaten in in-state competition during the fall of 2011.
In addition, she donates her time as a youth running and swimming instructor. Chase herself is an accomplished swimmer.
All this while maintaining a weighted GPA of 4.19.