No One Hurt Tuesday in West Springfield Garage Fire
Smoking materials ignited into a blaze.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue quickly extinguished a garage fire Tuesday afternoon in the 6700 block of Bellamy Avenue in West Springfield.
At around 2:45 p.m., homeowner Jane Croskery and her daughter were about to leave the house, and extinguished their cigarettes, when trash in the garage caught fire. Fire officials responded quickly and extinguished the blaze within minutes.
"We're just glad that not much was damaged," said Croskery, who has lived in the home for more than 40 years. "It's the first time something like this has ever happened."
Chief Thomas Grailing of the Fairfax County Fire Department estimated the damages at about $5,000. "By the time you re-dry the walls, repaint the inside of the home because of smoke damage, it'll cost about that," he said.
"I think it's good that people know that the firefighters came out and helped us when we needed them," Croskery said.