Three Major Parkways Made Primary Roads
It means new route numbers and funding sources for the Fairfax County, Prince William, and Franconia-Springfield Parkways
Three busy local roadways are now eligible to get a boost from the federal government. This week, the Fairfax County Parkway, Prince William Parkway and Franconia-Springfield Parkway were transferred from secondary to primary road status by the Commonwealth Transportation Board. That means that federal money is available for multiple projects, including paving, guardrail and bridge repairs.
"Federal funding typically covers 80 percent of the cost to maintain interstates and primary roads, with the remaining 20 percent from state funds," according to a Virginia Department of Transportation press release.
New Classification Means a New Name
- The 32-mile Fairfax County Parkway, which accommodates 22,000-75,000 vehicles a day, while be renamed from Route 7100 to Route 286.
- The four-mile Franconia-Springfield Parkway (Route 7900), which carries between 53,000 and 57,000 vehicles per day, will be renamed Route 289.
- The 16-mile Prince William Parkway (Route 3000), which carries between 25,000 and 54,000 vehicles per day, will be renamed Route 294.
To avoid confusion, over the next three months VDOT will replace old road identification signs with new route signs and additional signs indicating “Old Route 7100,” “Old Route 3000,” and “Old Route 7900”. Expect to see both signs for about a year.
There are now about 470 miles of primary roads in northern Virginia, and 8,000 miles of primary roads statewide, according to VDOT.