In 2010, the Springfield 15K/5K was established as one of the event anchors for the Springfield Days Festival weekend. The race was very well received, and the event has only gotten better. Many of the features that make Springfield a great place to live, work, and play also make it a great place for a fabulous race:
- A centrally-located high school with 1st class athletic facilities;
- A diverse and expansive commercial area with broad avenues;
- Paved creek-side trails featuring cool shade and abundant wildlife;
- Lake Accotink and the marina with unmatched vistas and recreation facilities;
- The Crestwood and Lynbrook neighborhoods with rolling hills and towering hardwood trees.
Returning race director Mark Russell is co-owner of Metro Run & Walk and the founder of the Springfield 15K/5K. He envisions a growing signature event, “We think this race should be on every runner’s calendar because it combines so many great aspects: a terrific course, a stadium track finish, substantial community involvement and a great charitable cause,” he said “Last year’s race drew 500 runners and walkers and raised more than $9,000 for local recreation and fitness programs for underserved youth.”
I invite Greater Springfield area businesses to help make this event a success through financial and in-kind sponsorships. Major sponsors to date:
- Gold: Balance Interactive, Safford Chrysler Jeep Dodge of Springfield, Springfield Mall.
- Silver: Marriott, Positively Chiropractic, Robert E. Lee High School.
- Bronze: Alexandria Podiatry Associates, Courtyard by Marriott Springfield, Hilton Springfield, LeMay & Company, Residence Inn by Marriott Springfield, Springfield Lorton Dental Group, Springfield Veterans of Foreign Wars, TownePlace Suites by Marriott Springfield, Trader Joe’s.