Happy Wednesday, Burke! Here's five things to keep in mind as you get your day started.
- In case you missed it, an Braddock District resident an was identified as one of the victims in Monday's Navy Yard shooting. Supervisor John Cook described Martin Bodrog, 54, as an "active and engaged" member of the community.
- The Greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce will host a legislative meet and greet with Virginia House of Delegates candidates in the 39th to 43rd districts tonight at 5 p.m. at the Springfield Golf & Country Club, 8301 Old Keene Mill Rd. in Springfield. Tickets are $20 general admission. There is no charge for Chamber members and first time visitors. Want to attend? Register online.
- The Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology varsity field hockey team beat Stuart High School 4-1 Tuesday night.
- Interested in becoming a Fairfax County election officer? Applying is easier than ever now, and can be done online through the Virginia State Board of Elections website. The information will be forwarded to the Fairfax County Office of Elections, which estimates it needs approximately 2,200 election officers for the Nov. 5 election. Qualifications to be an election officer include being a registered voter in the Commonwealth of Virginia and availability to work on Election Day. Each election officer is required to complete documentation for employment eligibility and attend a training class prior to Election Day. The Fairfax County Electoral Board recently approved a compensation increase for Fairfax County election officers. Those interested can also apply by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org and including your full name, current address, daytime telephone number and date of birth; or by calling 703-324-4735 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Concerned about immigration? Join several panel experts, including one U.S. Congressman, for a discussion on immigration reform this Wednesday at 8 a.m. at George Mason University’s Arlington campus. For more information including the full list of panelists, click here.