Fairfax County may see anywhere between 3 to 5 inches of snow Tuesday, if the forecast from the National Weather Service holds up.
The weather service said that a mixture of snow and sleet will start coming down at about 3 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday.
Here is a comprehensive list of what is open and closed. As more information becomes available, Patch will update this list.
• Fairfax County Government offices are open Tuesday, Dec. 10, however employees have been granted unscheduled leave. Emergency service personnel should report as scheduled.
• Fairfax County Public Schools are closed on Tuesday, Dec. 10. School Age Child Care (SACC) centers are closed.
• The Fairfax County Circuit Court, General District Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court have not yet made a decision on operating status (as of 8:30 p.m. Monday).
Parks, Community and Recreation and Community Centers
• If you have questions about Park Authority facilities, contact the site directly, call the Parks inclement weather line at 703-324-8661, TTY 711, or visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks.
• For Department of Neighborhood and Community Services programs and events visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ncs or call 703-324-4600, TTY 711.
Transportation: Connector, Fastran
• Fairfax Connector bus service may be affected by the inclement weather. Check the Connector Web page atwww.fairfaxconnector.com for the current operating status.
• For information about FASTRAN, call 703-222-9764, press 8; TTY 711, or online at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ncs/fastran.htm.
The Virginia Railway Express (VRE)—Will operate an "S" schedule, Tuesday, Dec. 10. Only trains with "S" above the train numbers will operate.
Libraries: Fairfax County Public Library is closed today, Tuesday, Dec. 10.
Snow and subsequent ice Sunday and early Monday knocked out power to about 130,000 Dominion Power customers in Northern Virginia. By Monday night, regional outages were down to about 30,000, but the electric company was bracing for Round 2 of winter weather and said outages could be a "multi-day event."
To report or check the status of an outage, click here or call 866-DOM-HELP (866-366-4357).
Colleges/UniversitiesGeorge Mason University: George Mason University administrative offices will open at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday. Reading Day and exams will continue as scheduled. Shuttle services will begin at 9:30 a.m. Visit http://www.gmu.edu or call 703-993-1000 for more information.
Northern Virginia Community College: All Northern Virginia Community College day and evening classes and activities are canceled Tue., Dec. 10 due to inclement weather. All campuses and administrative offices are closed. Please see the college website for more information.
Due to current weather conditions, Fairfax County trash and recycling
collection crews will be concentrating on the collection of all trash
and recyclables in sanitary districts receiving Tuesday collection service. Crews will continue working as long as weather conditions permit. Yard waste collection for Tuesday customers has been postponed until Wednesday, weather permitting.
District of Columbia Public Schools—Closed.
The Federal government is closed today.
District of Columbia government is closed today.
DC National Guard: Full-time employees of the District of Columbia National Guard will not
be required to report at this time, in keeping with our policy to follow
Office of Personnel Management Guidance. All members should standby for
further guidance from your supervisor in case of emergencies requiring