The Greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce in 2012 celebrates its 55th anniversary serving our business community.
Founded in 1957, the Chamber formulates and advocates positions critical to business, keeps members apprised of current community issues and provides numerous networking and education opportunities. As a non-profit organization, the Chamber's mission is to bring companies together to benefit the entire community by promoting and developing business opportunities in the Greater Springfield area.
On March 13, 1957, the Springfield-Franconia Chamber of Commerce was formed as an outgrowth of the Springfield-Franconia Committee for Economic Development. The Chamber’s charter and by-laws stated the purpose of the Chamber was to promote the economic, commercial, industrial, professional and civic interests of the Springfield-Franconia area and the general interest of Fairfax County. The territorial limits of the Chamber were “the area lying within a circle having a radius of three and one-half miles with its center at the intersection of Backlick Road and Route 644.”
More than 50 business and professional men and women in the Springfield-Franconia area were charter members. The first regular meeting of the Chamber of was held April 9, 1957, at Hunter’s Motel. According to a press release issued April 10, “the second Tuesday in each month was tentatively set for the regular meeting time. It was planned to have combination business-luncheon meetings to avoid conflict with the frequent night meetings to which members already are committed.”
On May 21, 1957, the board of directors unanimously adopted a resolution addressing the Springfield-Franconia Chamber’s opposition to enactment of a business privilege (gross receipts) tax in Fairfax County. The membership of the Chamber thought that a business privilege tax would make more difficult the task of the Fairfax County Committee for Economic and Industrial Development, that it would work undue and unjust hardship on small business, and that it would tend to aggravate the already-existing imbalance in Fairfax County between residential and commercial development.
Our name changed in 1962 to Springfield Chamber of Commerce, and we expanded our territory to include a five mile radius.
The year 1976 was a banner year for the Chamber. In May the Chamber renamed its Citizen of the Year Award in memory of Herb Hunter who had made so many fine contributions to the Chamber through the years. It was also in 1976 that the Chamber obtained its own telephone number, an official permanent address, and after many months and hours of effort, its own logo. Additionally the Chamber issued its first quarterly newsletter in August.
The Springfield Chamber of Commerce was incorporated in 1980 and in 1995 we officially became the Greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce -- servicing the communities of Burke, Fairfax Station, Franconia, Kingstowne, Lorton Station, Newington and Springfield. In 2010 our current logo was designed and in 2011 our new website and tagline debuted.