Accidental House Fire Displaces Six Adults

Damage to the home is estimated at $175,000. There were no injuries.

Six adults have been displaced by a house fire in the 9000 block of Braddock Road near the Twinbrook Shopping Center in Fairfax north of Burke.

According to a news release from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, firefighters responded to the house fire Sunday at approximately 12:15 p.m.

Upon arrival at the two-story, single-family home, firefighters encountered heavy, dark smoke and fire from the left side of the home near the carport area. Heavy winds forced the fire into the attic and eaves of the home, the release states, and firefighters had to attack the fire from inside and outside the home. Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in 25 minutes.

The six adults in the home were able to leave after a passing motorist called 911 and let the cccupants know the house was on fire. There were no working smoke alarms in the home, according to the release.

The release further states fire investigators have determined the fire started in the attached carport area of the home, but the exact cause of the fire has yet to be determined. Fire investigators found "evidence of a damaged power strip and a junction box in the carport" and have ruled the fire accidental.

There were no civilian, animal, or personnel injuries. The homeowners have declined Red Cross support.

Damage to the home is estimated at $175,000. Two vehicles, which were in the driveway near the carport at the time of the fire, have also been damaged.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »