Patch, AOL, and hopefully, you, will donate blood on Feb. 28 in honor of firefighters who put life and limb on the line to protect the public.
Blood Drive 911 will run from 2-7 p.m. at AOL headquarters in Sterling (22000 Aol Way). Bring your family and friends to stock up Red Cross blood banks and enjoy a cup of "firey" hot chocolate.
Patch and AOL thought up the event after running a story about a January call for blood donors to help a badly burned NYC firefighter. Though Red Cross does not permit donors to specify where their blood is sent, the donations collected on Tuesday could help save injured firefighters and other persons in need.
How can you get involved?
- Sign up online: Go here (http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation-sponsor?field_sponsor_code_value=0538139) and create a new user account. Follow the directions. Company: AOL, zip code: 20166.
- Register for a time slot by phone: Call 1-800-RED-CROSS.
- Show up! Registration is preferred, but we won't turn anyone away.
To donate blood you must be:
- Over 17 years old
- Weigh at least 110 pounds
- Click here for more specific requirements.
Hope you can come out and donate!
Editor's Note: Need a ride? Whitney will be driving from Fairfax City to Sterling to donate. She's willing to pick up locals for the trip. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.