The campaign, which is in its third year, according to a news release from the county, officially kicked off Monday and will run through Presidents' Day, Feb. 18.
"Stuff the Bus is an important component in restocking pantries after the holidays," noted Board of Supervisors Chairman Sharon Bulova in the release. "The need for healthy food is ever growing and the interest for Fairfax County residents to help is there, so we are happily providing the bridge to bring them together."
The goal of the campaign is "to combat a drop of food donations after the holidays and to address the rise in food security issues across the county," the release states.
Residents who are able to can drop off donations at one of the 10 official locations where a Fastran bus will be parked within the county. All donations benefit local non-profits and food pantries.
Donations will be accepted up until Feb. 18 from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the following locations near Burke:
- Feb. 9: Shoppers in Fair City Mall, 9622 Main St., Fairfax (Benefiting Food for Others)
- Feb. 18: Huntsman Square Giant, 7501 Huntsman Blvd., Springfield (Benefiting Ecumenical Community Helping Others)
Additional locations accepting donations are:
- Feb. 2: Walmart, 11181 Lee Hwy., Fairfax (Benefiting Our Daily Bread) and Lorton Valley Giant, 8941 Ox Rd., Lorton, VA 22079 (Benefiting Lorton Community Action Center)
- Feb. 9: Giant, 7235 Arlington Blvd., Falls Church (Benefiting Falls Church Community Service Council)
- Feb. 16: Giant, 1454 Chain Bridge Rd., McLean (Benefiting Share, Inc.) and Clifton Giant, 5740 Union Mill Rd., Clifton (Benefiting Western Fairfax Christian Ministries)
Last year, volunteers collected more than 25,000 pounds of food for Stuff the Bus.
"Food pantries address a critical need which is especially acute after the holidays, the Stuff the Bus campaign helps us help our community. Its importance to helping stock the shelves can't be overstated," said Roxanne Rice, executive director of Food for Others, in the release.
For more information, read the full news release here.