Burke students attend four of the top 15 Virginia high schools, according to U.S. News Best High Schools Rankings for 2012.
- Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology was ranked .
- was ranked no. 5 in Virginia.
- was ranked no. 11 in Virginia.
- was ranked no. 12 in Virginia.
Of the top 15 high schools in Virginia, 11 are in Fairfax County.
In addition to TJ's number two ranking, four other Fairfax County Public Schools made the top 100 nationally.
- George C. Marshall High School in Falls Church was ranked number 55 in the nation;
- McLean High School was ranked 85th;
- Robinson was ranked 88th;
- Langley High School in McLean was ranked 98th.
"We evaluated nearly 22,000 public high schools in 49 states and the District of Columbia. Schools were awarded gold, silver, or bronze medals based on state proficiency standards, how well they prepare students for college, and other factors," wrote U.S. News and World Report.
In all, U.S. News reviewed 21,776 U.S. public high schools nationwide and 96 Virginia schools made the list.
According to U.S. News, the rankings were calculated based on state proficiency standards, how well the schools prepare students for college, and other factors. Schools were also awarded gold, silver, or bronze medals based on those factors.Keep up with news from Burke and the surrounding area by signing up for the Burke Patch free email newsletter. Learn more here.