- There will be a Braddock District Candidate "Meet and Greet" on tonight, Sept. 30 at 7 p.m. at the Kings Park Library in Burke, located at 9002 Burke Lake Road. Candidates for the House of Delegates from the Braddock District and candidates for Fairfax County Sheriff are expected to attend. The event is sponsored by the League of Women Voters of the Fairfax Area.
- Open House for Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology (TJHSST): Thinking of applying your eighth-grader to TJHSST as a freshman for the 2014-15 school year? Come to an open house this Saturday to learn about the school and its admissions process. The deadline for applications for next year is Oct. 18. TJHSST is a Governor's Regional School and part of the Fairfax County Public School system, but has a separate admissions process. The school offers a comprehensive college preparatory program emphasizing science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). The school serves students who are selected on the basis of aptitude, prior academic achievement, and genuine interest and motivation in the biological, physical, mathematical, and computer sciences and who intend to pursue college preparation in the sciences, engineering, or related fields. Due to construction at TJHSST, the open house will take place at Holmes Middle School, 6525 Montrose St. in Alexandria, from 9 a.m. to noon. For more information, visit www.TJAdmissions.org.
- Fairfax County Taxpayers' Annual Luncheon: Want to become a more involved advocate for local taxpayers' desires, and lower taxes overall? Attend the annual Taxpayers' Annual Luncheon and find out how to get more involved. This year's speaker will be Susan Stimpson, Chairperson of the Stafford County Board of Supervisors, and a runner-up for the 2013 Republican nominee for Lt. Governor. Her talk will be titled, "How Stafford County Cut Taxes." Also on the repertoire will be a talk by Arthur Perves, president of the Fairfax County Taxpayers' Alliance, entitled "Why Fairfax County Should Cut Spending." The luncheon is $20 per person with a choice of an 8-ounce strip steak or chicken florentine. To RSVP, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 703-337-7492 with your name, contact information and menu selection.
- 21st Annual Fall for Fairfax KidsFest: It's an extravaganza, just for the wee ones - pumpkin painting, hay rides, scarecrow making, a petting zoo, pony rides, a trackless train ride, live acts, kids' crafts, model trains, costumed characters, bounce houses, a carnival and more. Plus, for parents, there's a farmers market, vendors, a county showcase and more. It all takes place at the Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, this Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 5 and 6. Admission is free, but rides and some features have a cost. Discounted, all-you-can-ride carnival passes are available online at www.FallForFairfax.com.
- Immigration advocates from across the state will participate in the 4th Annual Immigration Legislative Strategy Summit at Annandale United Methodist Church on Friday, Oct. 4 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The event will feature discussions about immigration reform and discuss legislative priorities for the coming Virginia General Assembly session.
Know of an event going on in Burke this week? Share it with us and your neighbors on our events calendar.