Saturday, October 13, 2012
Local fire stations in Fairfax County hosted open houses on Saturday for Fire Prevention Week.
Firefighters at Burke and West Springfield fire stations spent time entertaining parents, children and community members during a countywide fire station open house event on Saturday. All Fairfax County fire stations across Fairfax County held open houses as part of National Fire Prevention Week, which started on Sunday, Oct. 7 and ended on Saturday, Oct. 13. Kids were able to put out makeshift fires using real fire hoses with the assistance of a firefighter, learn martial moves from a local martial arts expert, explore fire trucks, and check out demonstrations on firefighter gear. Did you stop by an open house today? Share your photos with us by uploading them directly to the gallery above by clicking "upload photos and videos" or email …
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
The station will host activities for all ages, showcase displays, and teach residents how they can prevent fires in the home.
Fire stations across Fairfax County will host open houses this weekend for National Fire Prevention Week. National Fire Prevention Week, which started on Sunday and lasts through Saturday (Oct. 7 - 13), is an annual public awareness campaign to promote fire safety throughout the United States. Residents will be able to stop by their local station on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., to enjoy a host of activities and displays from firefighters and paramedics with the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department. During the open houses, firefighters will teach residents about how to prevent fires and fire injuries in the home. Burke has a volunteer fire station, station 14, located at 9501 Old Burke Lake Rd. The theme for this year’s Fire …
Saturday, September 15, 2012
The early morning fire occurred on Llewellyn Court.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue responded to a fire in the 10000 block of Llewellyn Court in Kings Park West early Saturday morning. An adult male was transported by ground to a burn center with 2nd degree burns to his neck, according to initial email reports from the fire department. Two patients were transported by ground for smoke inhalation. Patch will update this story as more details are available.
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Partnering with local barbers and businesses, Fairfax County Firefighters provided free haircuts for back-to school.
The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department partnered with Progressive Firefighters of Fairfax County, Apple Federal Credit Union, Gum Springs Community Center and local barbers to provide free back-to-school haircuts for kids. "When we're not running 911 emergencies, we're trying to find other ways to get out in the community," said Captain Willie Bailey. "There are places in the county where parents can't afford to take their kids to get a new haircut for school, so we just think it's the right thing to do to make sure they start off school just like everybody else," he said.
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
A kick-off event is scheduled Thursday, Aug. 30, in Alexandria.
The 2012 Labor Day Weekend Fill the Boot campaign benefiting the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) kicks-off in Fairfax County this week with a special event Thursday. The Fairfax County Professional Fire Fighters and Paramedics - International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) Local 2068, in conjunction with the Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department, the Fairfax County Department of Public Safety Communications, the Greater Washington Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) and Subway Restaurants are hosting the pre-collection event beginning at 10 a.m. Thursday at Fairfax County Fire Station 5, 6300 Beulah St. in Alexandria. "For the past seven of the twenty plus years that they have been collecting, members of Local 2068 have …
Friday, January 13, 2012
Unattended candle caused $50,000 in damage.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a townhouse fire at about 10:10 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 10, at 4804 Nash Drive in Burke. Upon arrival, firefighters encountered smoke coming from the second floor of a middle townhouse. They conducted an aggressive fire attack in a second floor bedroom, bringing the fire under control in approximately 10 minutes. Smoke alarms provided early warning for the four residents. Two adults and two youth have been displaced. Red Cross is assisting the family. There were no injuries. Damage is estimated at $50,000. According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental, caused by an unattended candle and incense in the second floor bedroom. Fairfax County Fire and Rescue provided these …
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department offers tips for holiday light safety.
The holiday season is a festive and joyous occasion. However, it's also a dangerous part of the year, according to the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department. The U.S. Fire Administration reports more than 400 people lose their lives, more than 1,600 are injured, and more than $990 million in property is damaged during the holidays each year. Taking simple, common-sense, life-saving steps can help ensure a safe and happy holiday, according to fire department officials. Lighting Safety Tips As a final precaution, make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home, and ensure you have an escape plan, and practice it.