Monday, March 26, 2012
VDOT plans work on 24 miles April through October.
The Virginia Department of Transportation will repave 24 miles of the 32-mile, six-lane Fairfax County Parkway between Route 7 in Dranesville and Rolling Road in Springfield beginning this spring and lasting through October. The $19 million maintenance project will take place mostly at night and on weekends, and will require lane closures and occasional detours. In advance of the work, VDOT is holding four community meetings along the corridor to communicate the plan and schedule. Each meeting will begin at 7 p.m. "While work will begin in April and be complete in October, the heaviest traffic impacts will be scheduled from June until Labor Day, when Fairfax County schools are out for the summer," said VDOT. "Crews will re-pave the …
Friday, February 17, 2012
It means new route numbers and funding sources for the Fairfax County, Prince William, and Franconia-Springfield Parkways
Three busy local roadways are now eligible to get a boost from the federal government. This week, the Fairfax County Parkway, Prince William Parkway and Franconia-Springfield Parkway were transferred from secondary to primary road status by the Commonwealth Transportation Board. That means that federal money is available for multiple projects, including paving, guardrail and bridge repairs. "Federal funding typically covers 80 percent of the cost to maintain interstates and primary roads, with the remaining 20 percent from state funds," according to a Virginia Department of Transportation press release. New Classification Means a New Name To avoid confusion, over the next three months VDOT will replace old road identification signs …
Monday, October 3, 2011
Daytime work October 3 - 7 will effect these lanes.
According to Virginia Mega Projects, these lane closures will effect drivers on the Fairfax County Parkway Monday, October 3, through Friday, October 7, 2011. The Fairfax County Parkway segment from Rolling Road to I-95 is open.
Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Overnight Parkway closures scheduled through September 1.
Crews continued to hang the beams for the Rolling Road overpass along the Fairfax County Parkway in the Springfield area on Tuesday night. On Wednesday and Thursday, from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m., the southbound lanes will intermittently close for 20 minutes at a time, while crews continue the work. Police will be on site to assist with the lane closures. The Rolling Road overpass is scheduled to open to traffic in May 2012. When open, the exit from the Fairfax County Parkway to Donegal Lane will close. The newly realigned Rolling Road is part of the final phase of the Fairfax County Parkway project. The Fairfax County Parkway project is built by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), the Eastern Federal Lands Highway Division (FHWA…
Monday, August 29, 2011
Concrete beam installation for Rolling Road overpass
Beginning Monday, August 29, through Thursday, September 1, lanes of the Fairfax County Parkway will intermittently close in the overnight hours so crews can erect concrete beams for the realignment of Rolling Road in the Springfield area. On Monday and Tuesday, from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m., the northbound lanes will intermittently close for 20 minutes at a time, while crews hang the beams. On Wednesday and Thursday, crews will follow the same schedule on the southbound lanes. Police will be on site to assist with the lane closures. The Rolling Road overpass is scheduled to open to traffic in May 2012. When the overpass opens, the exit from the Fairfax County Parkway to Donegal Lane will close. The newly realigned Rolling Road is part of the …
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Lanes shift left from the Barta Road interchange to Donegal Lane.
On Wednesday, August 17, lanes on the north end of the Fairfax County Parkway project will shift to the left, creating a dedicated turn-only lane onto Donegal Lane. This lane shift will occur in the section of road from the Barta Road interchange to Donegal Lane. The two right lanes will become through lanes toward the Franconia-Springfield Parkway, and the far right lane will be shifted to cater to a new configuration at Hooes Road. The right turn lane will be removed in late August when Hooes Road is closed from the Fairfax County Parkway to Barkers Court. At that time, the new interchange at Barkers Court will be partially opened to access Hooes Road. Crews are expediting work on the final phase of the parkway project. Other road …