The fire department has ruled the Wednesday fire as accidental.
An accidental fire Wednesday at a vacant townhouse in West Springfield has caused around $100,000 in damage, according to a news release from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department. Firefighters responded to a fire at 8733 Sheridan Farms Ct., at approximately 6:50 a.m. and found heavy smoke and fire coming from the rear and roof of the unfurnished, three-story townhouse. It took firefighters 15 minutes to get the fire under control. The release states the fire was caused by an electrical wiring anomaly in the attic. There were no civilian or fire personnel injuries. The fire department offers the following tips to help residents lower the risk of electrical fires: Electrical Safety Tips